Sunday, May 20, 2018

The End of Maynia, Year of Starts #5

Maynia is officially over for me, but I did have a lot of fun doing it. It seems stitching on one project for a long time is actually something I enjoy, and I should probably do that more often. I had originally intended to stitch on my Permin 1826 sampler for 15 days, but it ended up being 17. I was so close to finishing that first giant mandala, I just had to continue:
I would have liked to stitch on this even longer; there are a few little motifs hovering around that were begging to be stitched, at least to fill in the area before I move the qsnaps again, but I have moved on to another project. I still look at this one a lot though. I might have to change how I do things because switching around so much is starting to make me sad rather than happy to be switching. But I'll think on that later. For this project, I managed a total of 4,638 stitches in 20.5 hours. I've already used up two skeins of floss and started the third. I left the bobbin in for scale. This motif isn't quite square, but it's about 5.25 inches across. :)

My next project was the next in my Year of Starts, which I begin on the 18th of every month. This one is a reproduction sampler called Elizabeth Oliver by Moira Blackburn:
I fell in love with this sampler sometime last year, and finally bought it for my Christmas present. I wanted to start it right away but it kept getting put off, so I'm very happy to finally get some stitches in. I know the current mode is to stitch old samplers on brown fabrics for that old look, but I wanted this one to look shiny and new, so I'm stitching it on 32ct Antique White Lugana (because I had it in my stash) with the called for DMC. There is a lot of that green though (3012) so I kind of wish I had used an overdyed for that, but it's ok. I'm just not fond of that shade of green. :)

I've only stitched on this for 2 days, but last night I really couldn't put it down. I was determined to get at least one of the flowers done -- I think they are honeysuckle? -- and I was really surprised by that dark pink. I had to double check the number! But I think that will look really interesting. And I like how the effect of that pink changes once I put in the yellow. The blue border is actually long arm cross stitch, which is a lot of fun but can only be stitched in one direction, so I may have to turn my stitching as I work my way around. There are lots of little things I like about this chart, but I'll stop rambling on for now. This will be my morning project next week, so we'll see how far I get.

Well, the heat wave has shown no signs of leaving, so my Temperature charts have lots and lots of orange for May. I even have my first red in this week:
We are 10-15 degrees too warm this month, which stinks since we were 10-15 degrees too cold last month. Someone stole our Spring! I'm starting to wonder how our true Summer months will look. I think last year would have been a lot more colorful. Oh well. Guess I'll just get back to stitching. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment