Sunday, October 7, 2018

Hocus Pocus, and Other Musings

Hello again! It's finally October, so I have officially started my Fall stitching, because there are some projects that just begged to be worked on this time of year. Unfortunately, we've had almost non stop rain for several days now, so my pictures aren't very vibrant. But if you ever drop by Kansas City, I'll be happy to show them to you in person. :)

First up, I worked on Hocus Pocus by Prairie Schooler. I started this one last October, but my stitching was off that week and I didn't get very far. I'm happy to say that was not the case this year, and I'm pleased with my bit of progress:
That moon took a fair bit of stitching to finish off, but I love the result. He's so jovial! That's the start of the cat on the right, but at the moment it looks more like a sort of demon. Which I like. :) The only thing I may change about this pattern is the orange. On the model, it's a bright, lovely orange, but the called for color just fades into the background, not bright at all. Definitely have to do something about that.

I'm also happy to show off a page finish on Crystals and Crows, so have a look at a crow's tail:
It took about 3 hours to finish off those last 400 or so stitches. To say that this chart is confettilicious is almost an understatement. But I really love the end result. This photo is really washed out, but I think I stared at all the blues in that crow's tail for 10 minutes once it was done. :) I'm still hoping to make it halfway through page 3 by month's end, but it's definitely slow going.

I didn't show my Temperature charts last time because I wanted to finish off September. It's done now, so let's have a look:
September was kind of a funny month. At first, it started to cool down quite a bit, and I thought I'd get into some nice greens for a while. Then it's like Mother Nature heard everyone complaining about the end of summer and decided to give it one last go. Then the day before Autumn, summer abruptly relented, and we eventually got into the 60s, which is that light green at the bottom. But now you see October's antics? It was 91° on the 3rd, 65° on the 4th. We'll just see how the month goes. :) The average for September was 80.3°, which is about the same as May.

Some of you may remember there's a SAL for all the Hawk Run Hollow charts going on this month. I had originally planned on joining in with Christmas, but I wanted to tweak some of the colors first, and I'm still not sure how I want to go about it. I'd like to do it in silks, but I can only afford a few at a time, so it takes a while to kit up that way. But I just wasn't happy with some of the DMC colors.

Anyway, I really want to start another project on the 18th: Jack's Bash by Plum Street. I've seen a lot of people stitching it recently, and it was one of the first Plum Street charts I bought. So I'm really looking forward to it. If anyone else has this chart, you should stitch it with me! That would be fun! :)

Well, I think I've rambled enough for today. Hope you are all enjoying stitching in the new season. Until next time!
Jack's Bash by Plum Street Samplers

3 comments:

  1. Love your Halloween stitching. Great progress on all your stitching. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work on Hocus Pocus, I still adore that cat =)
    I have a lot of Halloween books sitting here on a pile but it has been so warm during the last days that I didn't really get into the mood and it's the same with my small Halloween kits (I ordered some in September when things cooled down here...). But there is a rumor that the temperaturs are going to drop by Thursdays (finally!)
    I always love to see Crystals and Crows, the max color really adds to the depth (and the confetti..) =)
    Jack's Bash looks like a fun project and I am looking forward to your start on it, I think it's a good choice for October =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW the detail in the crows tail is incredible. It probably would have taken alot longer than 3 hours to get those last 400 stitches done. So yay you. Love the way the temperature charts are looking. Such a great idea. And of course being a mad Halloween fan I love your scary piece.
    xo Alicia

    ReplyDelete